Bananas provide a variety of health benefits and reasons to add them to your daily nutrition that you will wonder why you did not eat more of them sooner. Here are six reasons why you should eat bananas regularly.
- Energising – Due to the carbohydrate content and fantastic mix of nutrients they are great for energy. Carbohydrates provide energy and bananas pack a mighty
amount of this macronutrient, making them a source of fuel that is perfect for that boost you need in the morning, afternoon or anytime of the day to feel on top of your game.
- Satisfying – Due to the nutrition and calorie content it will satisfy the mind and body. A banana (or a few) go along way compared to a handful of berries. To ensure you get the full banana benefits be sure to eat plenty. If eating them at breakfast have a bunch of bananas, or have a few amongst a variety of other fresh fruit. When making a smoothie be sure to add a few if bananas are the main base, or add a variety of fruit alongside to ensure you get enough fuel into the body to provide energy. One banana for breakfast is not enough to feel energised and provide enough nutrients, however, it will work for a small snack.
- Digestion – Bananas have a fantastic dose of fibre which help to aid better digestion. They are rich in pectin, can stimulate the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel and produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients, all of which aid digestion. If constipation or diarrhea are an issue, bananas can help either way due to the complex fibre and electrolyte content.
- Cardio Health – The potassium content in bananas can support cardiovascular health as potassium is an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. The fibre in bananas can help cardio health as soluble fibre in food is associated with improving health of the heart.
- Fast Food – A simple, convenient, cheap fast food. Grab a bunch of bananas for on the go easy healthy food! The beauty of bananas is they are available year-round worldwide and easily accessible in supermarkets, market stalls, health shops and many other shops. This is one fruit that is easy to get your hands on for affordable healthy nutrition.
- Smoothie and Ice Cream – Bananas are perfect as a base for smoothies and ice creams. They make smoothies deliciously creamy and ice creams simply incredible without the need for an ice cream machine, dairy free and processed free.
Banana Mango Smoothie
Simply sweet easy smoothie!
- 4 bananas, ripe
- Handful of chopped fresh mango
- Optional toppings: raw cacao nibs, fresh fruit and/or seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until combined, thick and smooth.
- Once ready add the mix to a glass or bowl, top with extras if desired.
Carob Ice Cream
This is deliciously like chocolate!
- 4 medium to large bananas, ripe
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- Optional: Add 1 tbsp tahini
- Optional toppings: Add raw cacao nibs and chunks of fresh fruit on top.
- The day before you plan to eat this slice up the bananas into ½ cm coins and place in a Tupperware box or freezer food bag.
- Place this in the freezer until the next day. Ideally it wants to be in the freezer 24 hours in advance.
- When ready to eat the ice cream – take the banana out of the freezer.
- Place the banana coins into a very good blender. (You really do need a good blender and blade for this!)
- Blend the frozen bananas. They will start to form like a crumble, then turn more creamy. It may take a couple of minutes.
- Add the carob powder, and tahini if using. Blend again until everything is well combined and the banana mixture resembles more of an ice cream consistency.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and add to a bowl.
- Add your preferred toppings and dig in!
Bananas are healthy affordable eating! How many bananas will you eat today?