We all like to relax and unwind and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do so. In reality many of us either feel guilty for having a bit of “me” time or can’t afford the fancy 5-star spa luxury package. Rather than feeling deprived or guilt-ridden, it is extremely beneficial to give yourself a break on a regular basis.
Create your own spa experience at home to cut costs and have a regular date with relaxation.
Benefits of a Home Spa
- Convenient – A spa on your doorstep! Forget the road trip or long train journey to a luxury spa hotel, instead book yourself in at home sweet home for easy convenience.
- Cheap – Cut out travel costs, accommodation and high end priced packages by creating your own spa package saving a big amount of pennies.
- Relaxing – Cutting out the stress of cost and travel will help to ease you into relaxation mode making the spa experience much more worthwhile.
- Invite Friends – If friends can’t afford a hotel spa then a home spa is the perfect solution! Invite all your friends round for a fun, relaxing and intimate experience making it much more personal to your own group.
- DIY Package – Creating your own spa experience means you can make a personal package. Add in what you like without building up the costs. Plus you can create many different packages and try them out on rotation to enjoy different pampering experience.
- Body Recovery – Let your body recover from the hectic life! Recovery for muscles from workouts and tension from a busy lifestyle will be of great benefit when letting your mind and body relax.
Here are ten ideas to relax more and stress less all in the comfort of your home.
How-To Home Spa
- Fresh Flowers – Treating yourself to a bunch of fresh flowers can be a super cheap rewarding gift. There’s something uplifting about fresh flowers with the beautiful aroma, bright colours and touch of nature that livens the spirit. Better yet pick some from the garden if you have any!
- Bathing – Take a bath with salts and bathing minerals to help the body unwind and release tension. Epsom salts are great due to the magnesium which is known to ease stress, relax the mind, relieve pain and soreness and help muscles recover. Essential oils, such as rose oil, is fantastic as it has an amazing scent and is known to uplift the mind and body, and help anxiety.
- Music – Sit back and relax to calming music to help perk up your mood and feel refreshed. Or if you want to feel invigorated put on your favourite upbeat tunes and have a dance around the house which will certainly raise your spirits and make you feel revitalised!
- Exfoliate – Boost circulation and get rid of any dead skin cells using a homemade face scrub to help your complexion feel radiant. Honey & Oat Facial Scrub: Using a mortar and pestle grind 1 tbsp of oats into a fine powder. Transfer the oats to a bowl and add 1 tsp honey (optional: add 4 drops of essential oil such as orange or lemon). Mix together and store in a sterilised jar with a tight-fitting lid in the fridge. For use gently massage into the skin, then rinse off with warm water. Pat dry with a towel.
- Cleansing Mask – Nourish the face after exfoliating with a soothing skin-conditioning homemade facial mask. Avocado & Banana Mask: Add ½ ripe avocado and ½ ripe banana to a bowl and mash with a fork to make a pasta. Add 1 tsp honey (optional: 1 tsp rose floral water) and mix together. Apply the mask to the face with the fingertips, avoiding the eyes. Leave on the skin for 10 minutes and remove with warm water. Pat dry with a towel.
- Moisturise – Cleanse and moisturise with coconut oil for radiant skin. It is a great natural product as it has soothing and nourishing properties.
- Head Massage – Using coconut or argan oil, add to the palms and rub into your hands. Smooth the oil into the hair, starting at the top and working down the sides until the whole head is covered evenly. Gently massage the whole of the head with thumbs and fingers. Squeeze your temples with the heel of the hands or fingertips with slow, circular movements. At the back of the head, place the thumbs at the lower part close to the neck and the fingers at the top of the head and rub to release the muscles.
- Foot Massage – Wash your feet with warm water, then dry. Apply a small amount of coconut oil or almond oil and start rubbing at the base of your little toe. Move over to the base of the next toe and continue rubbing. Apply slight pressure on the flesh between your little toe and the next toe over, and then move to your middle toe. Massage, stretch, and pull your middle toe in a circular motion, then do the same with your other toes. With your fingertips or the palms of your hands, gently apply pressure to both sides of your heel just below the ankle, and then rub around your ankle clockwise to boost energy and circulation. Repeat on the second foot.
- Nourish – Create a healthy wholesome meal on your spa day – in fact every day – to make your mind and body feel energised and healthy ready to tackle the daily grind. During your spa package make a fruit smoothie, a fruit platter or a huge green salad with a variety of fresh vegetables.
- Read – There’s nothing better than sitting back and reading your favourite magazines and book. After a soothing bath, DIY facial and massage, make a smoothie, put your feet up with a book and enjoy the quiet moments.
Make time to relax as your body will thank you for it. What will you create for your DIY spa package?