Whether it’s to boost your fitness, improve your health, save some pennies, be more outdoorsy, connect with nature, or just to be more adventurous, taking up cycling could be the best thing you do this summer. Riding a bike is good for more than saving cash and helping the environment, it could be one of the most effective workouts you do.
The beauty of the bike is it can be for everyone, there are now options for those that require stability support and use wheelchairs, making it accessible to many people. If you want a form of exercise that gives you the freedom to go anywhere, challenge the body in various ways and have some fun exploring, then cycling might just be your answer. What better way to relish summer than feeling cool with the breeze on your face as you ride under the beautiful sunshine.
Are you ready to jump on the saddle this summer? Here are the top 5 reasons to start cycling this season.
- Fitness – One of the obvious pointers is it will help to improve fitness, on top of this it will help to build muscle and aid fat loss. Cycling is an all-round winner for helping the body get in tip top shape as it targets the whole body from arm strength to tightening the core to chiseling the legs and butt. It is also known to improve cardiovascular health – the bike is an ultimate accessory for feeling fit and healthy!
- Low Impact – The bike is great for reducing injuries on joints and for those who are a bit of a heavier frame and don’t feel comfortable running. It doesn’t matter what shape you’re in you can go at your own pace. So if you’re a newbie or recovering from an injury just take it easy as you peddle on your own journey. Feel confident with exercise and find enjoyment in your routine by choosing an activity that supports your body.
- Reduce Stress – Wind in the hair, the smell of fresh air, consistent exercise, all will help to reduce stress. In today’s world we are bombarded with the constant go-go-go and lots of stress sitting on our shoulders, so finding something that can help reduce this worrying niggle is of high importance. The bike can do just that as it gets you outdoors which is known to help reduce stress, and it is exercise which is a massive bonus to increasing the feel good factors.
- Transport – Getting on the bike is great for commuting to work as there will be less chance of getting stuck in traffic, no stress from driving a car and getting ‘road rage’, less cost from running a car and overall it will be better for your health and fitness. So when you turn up to work (albeit slightly sweaty) your endorphins will be on a high and you will be ready to tackle your day with an almighty boost. Plus, you can feel smug amongst your colleagues knowing you’ve already started your day with exercise with no worries about fitting in the gym!
- Have Fun & Be Happy – Whatever exercise you choose it should always be fun, something that you actually enjoy and want to do regularly as this will ensure you keep at it consistently to reap the rewards. Cycling is an exciting form of exercise as you can go on or off road on many trails and routes. You can take the bike on trips and overseas, therefore reducing car costs, keeping fit and giving you the freedom to explore the area better. You can go out cycling as part of a group on a fun adventure, take the family out to explore, and even bring the dogs along to run by your side on the trails. The bike is a super feel good tool for all!
One final note: wear a helmet.
What route will you take with your bike this summer?