Juicy, sweet and great for digestion, what’s not to love about pineapple? This exotic fruit is absolutely delicious and packed with nutrients to make the body feel good, so it is a good idea to add pineapple to your regular diet.
The tropical fruit is available most of the year in supermarkets and farmers markets due to the wonders of importing it from around the world, making it very easy to get your hands on this spiky goodie. Pineapple can be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, both hot and cold. There are so many ways to enjoy the sweet flavour, on top of simply eating it fresh, raw and on its own.
Pineapple Nutrition & Benefits
- Vitamin C – Raw fresh pineapples has a phenomenal dose of vitamin C, making them a great source of food for boosting immunity.
- Manganese – It has a good dose of manganese which can help to promote healthy skin and protect against excess free radicals.
- Copper – Pineapple contains a good amount of copper which is important for antioxidant protection, providing energy and manufacturing collagen for healthy bones and tissues.
- Vitamin B6 – The fruit is packed with vitamin B6. This nutrient plays numerous roles in our nervous system, many of which involve the brain cells. B6 helps the body convert food (i.e. carbohydrates which is found in all fruit) into fuel (glucose), which is used to produce energy.
- Vitamin B1 – Like the other B vitamins, B1 is a key player in the production of energy from carbohydrates. Pineapple is also full of this nutrient making it a great choice for providing energy to the body!
- Digestion – Pineapple contains fibre which is excellent for a healthy gut. On top of this it contains the digestive enzyme bromelain which provides enzymes to the body to help support healthy digestion.
Here are ten ways to enjoy pineapple in sweet and savoury dishes.
- Pineapple Ice Cream – Adding fresh or frozen chunks of pineapple to frozen bananas to make a healthy creamy (dairy-free) ice cream. Follow this easy ice cream method!
- Pineapple Smoothie – This fruit is fantastic in a smoothie as it gives a delicious, sweet kick. Make a tropical fruit-based smoothie with pineapple, bananas and mango, or add pineapple to berries, or make a green smoothie with pineapple, bananas and spinach.
- Pineapple Salsa – Chop up small chunks of fresh raw pineapple and mix it with raw onion, tomatoes and coriander. Or try this recipe: add a handful of chopped pineapple and mango to a bowl. Add ½ avocado chopped to the bowl. Add the juice of ½ lime to the bowl. Optional: add fresh herbs such as coriander or basil to the mix. Stir everything together and serve.
- Pineapple Salad – To add a fresh twist to a salad try pineapple, mango, avocado, tomatoes, lime juice and lettuce mixed together.
- Pineapple Dressing – For a simple fruity dressing, add one to two handfuls of fresh pineapple to a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour the dressing over a big bowl of leafy greens and perhaps add chunks of pineapple for a simple salad.
- Fruit Kebabs – Thread chunks of fresh fruit onto wooden satay sticks. Fruit options: pineapple, banana, mango, strawberries and grapes. This is a quick healthy recipe for the whole family to enjoy!
- Pina Colada – This is a healthier version of the classic as it excludes the alcohol but is still packed with flavour. Add to a blender: 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, ½ cup coconut milk, 1 banana and ¼ cup crushed ice. Blend until smooth then pour into a glass and top with unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Grilled Cinnamon Pineapple – This is a mouth-watering recipe that everyone must try! Grill cut pieces of pineapple which is sprinkled with cinnamon and a sweetener (honey, maple syrup, unrefined brown sugar or coconut sugar) for a healthy decadent bite.
- Pizza – Make your own pizza base and top with veggies such as onions, tomatoes and pepper, finished off with small chunks of pineapple for a sweet and savoury delicious homemade pizza.
- Honey Roasted Pineapple – Add chunks of pineapple to a baking dish and drizzle honey over the fruit. You can also add a little freshly squeezed orange juice. Bake in the oven and serve with oatmeal, homemade pineapple ice cream from the recipe further above or one of these ice cream recipes.
Which is your favourite way to enjoy this tropical fruit?