We all enjoy celebrating the holidays when they come around each year, spending quality time with family and friends, and that’s what makes it so special. Now, we all know how it feels to overindulge in our favourite foods and under-exercise during the holiday season, which is totally ok. However, if you are wanting to enjoy food and relaxation with loved ones during the Christmas period without feeling sluggish, here are 10 tips for keeping on top of your health and fitness goals whilst enjoying yourself.
1. Breakfast – Start the day with a comforting delicious breakfast that is packed with nutrients and great taste. By providing the body with fantastic nutrition to start the day you will feel good on the inside and if you have a less than ideal meal later in the day there is no need to worry too much! By doing this it will help with ridding those sugar cravings, and simply enjoying those festive delights as a one-off rather than all day, every day. For example, make porridge with warming spices (cinnamon and nutmeg) and add a variety of fruit on top with a drizzle of honey, enjoy scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, or make a smoothie.
2. Drink Up! – No not the vino, although the odd tipple is more than fine during the festive celebrations. With all the alcohol, late nights and travelling the body will be dehydrated. Drink the water! Aim for at least 2 litres (~67 fl. oz) per day.
3. Go Green – Get outside for fresh air and fantastic walks. Eat plenty of green vegetables to boost energy levels – try them raw, steamed, stir fried and roasted.
4. Rest – Allow yourself time with loved ones to enjoy their company, for lazy mornings and plenty of time away from technology. Unwind to recharge and feel amazing!
5. Take it Easy – Be kind to yourself! Don’t worry about food, not exercising or following your usual routine. Enjoy this time with your family and friends, and learn to just relax. Ease off on the pressure to be perfect, have confidence in yourself to make good decisions. This holiday only comes around once a year, enjoy rather than worry!
6. Stock Up! – Ensure your fridge and cupboards are stocked up with all the usual healthy delicious foods you would eat regularly. When you are not indulging in festive food at parties or gatherings with friends, you know that you have great food at hand that will keep you energised and feeling amazing.
7. Immunity – Eat foods to keep the immune system on a high. Look for antioxidant rich foods which are bursting with colour, especially those with purple, blue, red, orange, and yellow hues. For example: beetroot, kale, carrots, cabbage, apples, oranges, pineapple, papaya, peppers, berries, mango, asparagus and broccoli.
8. Skincare – Want beautiful skin this winter? Make sure you’re eating foods that will add a fabulous glow to your skin. For example, foods rich in vitamin E may help to prevent free radical damage. It is an antioxidant which can protect cells from damage which includes skin and eyes. There are plenty of good sources found in foods such as sunflower seeds, spinach, kale, swiss chard, asparagus, broccoli, peppers and tomatoes.
9. Move – Get out for walks, stretch and do any movement that you feel good to do. Don’t push yourself to follow an intense programme. Just do what feels good over this period as you will soon be back to the normal routine come the new year. No Time to Workout? Get Fit with These Easy Tips!
10. Happiness – Most of all do the things that make you happy and feel good. This is a truly wonderful time of year when you get to spend time with loved ones so enjoy those moments without guilt and regret, instead bursting with laughter, hugs and delicious food!
What will you do this Christmas to feel fabulous?