You start the day with the best of intentions. You plan to have breakfast before you leave the house, but only grab an apple and coffee. You plan to get a salad from the shop for lunch, but get so busy with work that you skip eating or grab a chocolate bar and crisps. You plan to cook up a heart-warming family dinner but don’t have time and go for a prepared meal from the supermarket.
It doesn’t have to be this way; don’t make it difficult on yourself to eat great food. But why is healthy eating so important? Eating healthy is one of the best ways to take care of yourself and your family. By eating healthy you will boost your immune system, maintain energy levels, and feel great! But how can you eat well whilst juggling so much in a day?
As a busy woman, it is essential that you eat, and eating healthy needs to be a priority.
Let’s take a look at three benefits of eating healthy whilst being busy.
- Energy – Eating nutritious food packed with energy is going to give you the extra boost you need to keep going during the busy hours without that sluggish feeling come mid-afternoon!
- Mood Booster – The nutrients in the great food will help to keep you focused on the daily tasks whilst keeping you happier and more relaxed. Don’t starve your body or mind!
- Fat Loss – Starvation is NOT the key here, ladies! Eating right will help to keep your metabolism working at its best; you need a good metabolism to help with losing body fat. By eating less, especially when you are busy using lots of energy, your body will hold on to the stored body fat due to thinking it won’t be fed again. Your body needs energy from food, when it is fed the right amount it will lose the excess fat.
Make it easier on yourself by giving these ten quick-to-prepare foods a go.
- 100g (~3.5 oz) Greek yoghurt (or quark) with 1 tbsp honey and a few berries. For the Greek yoghurt, the best option is 0% low fat to get a great dose of protein.
- A piece of fruit with a small handful of nuts. For the nuts choose unsalted.
- 2 rice cakes with 1 tbsp nut butter. Almond butter or peanut butter are great choices.
- 2 boiled eggs and a piece of fruit
- A few strawberries and a small handful of almonds
- 100g (~3.5 oz) Cottage cheese with a few sticks of celery or carrots
- A couple of tablespoons of hummus with raw veg sticks (celery, carrots, cucumber)
- 1 slice spelt/rye/buckwheat/ezekiel bread with 1 tbsp nut butter and a banana sliced
- 100g (~3.5 oz) Greek yoghurt with 1 tbsp nut butter and a banana
- 2 rice cakes with 50g (~1.8 oz) Greek yoghurt spread on top with slices of kiwi
Before you start your hectic day be sure to have a super breakfast to give the energy required. If you are a busy lady and tend to skip breakfast then this is one bonus point you want to start implementing! Skipping breakfast can lead to a mid-morning blood sugar level crash; lower your mood, energy and concentration. All of this is not good for someone who is busy. On top of this it can reduce your metabolic rate which is not ideal for fat loss. Start the day with a boost! Have a bowl of oats with a side of scrambled eggs or one scoop of protein powder mixed in. Add a little cinnamon to the oats and top with one tablespoon of honey. You will get a nice dose of protein and carbohydrates which is perfect for energy, keeping you fuller longer and helping your metabolism.
Next time you are tempted to grab a chocolate bar, piece of cake or bag of crisps whilst on the go, remember that there are options available that require minimal preparation and will leave you feeling more energised ready to tackle your busy day ahead!